Thursday, April 23, 2009

My First Day in School


When I think about my past, the clearest picture that comes into my mind is my first day in school. My mother took me to the school – Carmel School – run by CMI fathers. My parents say that I had a pre-admission test, in which I did well, because of which I got admission, I don’t remember giving any. The school opening day was a messy day. Since it was my first day in school, I thought everything will go fine. My mother took me and non-teaching staff showed us the way to my classroom. I was so scared while we were getting near to the classroom, as I heard lots of crying. Children cried because, the parents had to leave then at the classroom door. Thereafter teacher and the non-teaching staff will look after them. So did my mother. Anyway, there I was in the center of so many crying children – as I was the only grown up child who was not crying. He he. You know me. I had blocked my ears with my little fingers, to get rid of the crying sounds, which might possibly break my control. There was this teacher, ‘Mercy Miss’, as we fondly call her. She was so sweet, I remember. Probably in her early twenties, trying to calm down all the 35 children except me. She was very beautiful. I didn’t cry, I was very brave, you know. But I am a sympathizer; I couldn’t stand alone in the crowd. And how could I ditch my classmates? I too burst out into tears. But believe me, it was very silent. Tears rolled down my eyes, but not much sound came out. I controlled it. After some time of unsuccessful attempt to calm down the children, our dear Mercy Miss announced that the class is dispersed. Chaos again, all were fighting near the door to reach their parents first. Some had made the decision not to come back to the school. How could they? Away from parents and that too no freedom to roam around or play. No way are we gonna come back!!

But, later for me, it proved to be a very good place of learning. I did my whole schooling in the same school and when I look back to those days, I say – cool.

I remember a lot about my Kindergarten days. I was a day scholar and the school was about 10 Kilometers from my home. I went to school in a van – Standard, I remember the writing in its back -- with my friends Vidya, Lucy, Skaria, Jacob, Skaria’s elder brother Antony and some more. Our driver – Chakkappan Chettan -- was a trustworthy person, who was entrusted our local guardianship from the time we leave home till we reach back. So, we were all happy with Chakkappan chettan, except the fact that he don’t drive fast. He was real slow, like a snail. We used to make fun of him, till we understood the importance that he didn’t had any accidents in 7 years that we travelled with him. That was why he was the best person, for our parents, to entrust our lives.

1 comment:

AumodH said...

this one reminds me about Sukumaran chettan. i never gone in his black ambassodor car. my brothers used to go to school in his car. when i joined school they also shifted to the near by school.... pavam njan....