Thursday, June 4, 2009

Nalu mani unda

In my childhood, we had a man who worked in our fields and the farmhouse. His name was Xavier. In local slang we used to call him ‘Chowriar’ chettan. He was a bit tanned due to sun. He was in his early sixties that time. He used to wear a lungi and a towel around his neck. He used to have a small beard as he used to shave once in a week only. He was one of our favorites as he used to sing well. Specially parody songs. He will pick some topic and start singing, like an instant poet. We had a song for him too – Chowriarettaaaa, Chowriarettaaaa, Kannampuzhakkale Chowriarettaaa – I don’t remember the other lines. But we used to tease him with this song by adding whatever situation requires. He used to call me “Nalu many unda”. My amma used to make some or other kind of undas for snacks in the evening. So we used give him too a share. All children who used to come to my house or the houses we used to visit for games used to get this legendry undas. My amma is a good cook.

No comments: